Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Shots! Shots! Shots! (and no, not those kind)

Harrison had his 2 month appointment last Thursday. An event I was both excited and scared for.  Excited in that I was anxious to see how much he has grown since his 1 week appointment, and scared because of the 4 vaccinations that were coming his way.  Harrison has been growing steadily since his last appointment, but has definitely slowed down in weight gain since he made his arrival. Daniel and myself both knew he had to plateau at some point, we don't exactly come from families with big/tall genes :)  He is now weighing in at 11 lbs 13 oz (25th percentile) and measuring 23 1/2 inches (50th percentile).  He is healthy as can be.  Everything from the straightness of his spine to reflexes checked out perfect. Another check off the list of a worrisome mommy! Harrison did not enjoy his appointment. Massive understatement.  Poor kiddo screamed bloody murder from the time we walked into the exam room until we were back in the car.  At one point the doctor and myself were having to shout questions to each other just to be heard.  Harrison also received all of his 2 month immunizations (TDaP, Pneumococcal, Rotavirus and Polio)  He received his Hep B vaccine at his 1 week appointment, so I had at least a little idea of what to expect, unfortunately that didn't make it any easier.  Unlike most parents, my fears and discomfort wasn't due to his reaction to the shots themselves.  I've heard many times about parents being in tears and not being able to watch as they're giving the vaccinations.  Not me.  Instead, my instinct to protect my baby skyrockets. I am watching that nurse like a hawk.  Every move she makes.  Instead of not being able to watch, I would actually feel more comfortable if I was able to give the vaccination myself.

I scheduled back-to-back appointments for him and myself--I was having my final c-section check up so I could be cleared to start working out.  That turned out to be the worst idea ever.  I have vowed never to bring him to one of my appointments alone again.  It was heartbreaking to hear the little man crying in his carrier (hysterically, I might add) and not be able to do anything.  There was actually a point while the doctor was checking my incision that I looked at him with "hurry the #@%! up!" look in my eyes.  Needless to say the moment the exam was done, we were out of there fast.  Harrison usually loves car rides, but this one required static on the radio the whole way home.  Poor guy :(  He was finally able to sleep and got to spend part of the evening with Nana. Thankfully, he was all smiles and chatter by the time we got home. Now we just wait and dread the 4 month appointment!

So sleepy!

2 Months

No comments:

Post a Comment