Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

1 Year Ago...

As I celebrated my first birthday as a mother this past week,  I couldn't help but think about what I did for my birthday last year.  Surely it had to be something exciting. Like going out for drinks, staying up late, sleeping in the following morning, etc.  As I thought about all of this I recalled that last year for my birthday we went out to La Casita's for their late night happy hour where I enjoyed 1 beer and we called it a night early and headed home.  I remember feeling so tired that I couldn't even bring myself to celebrate.  As it was, I would find out just 4 days later that I was pregnant.  Exactly 1 year ago today.

While it is not as grand and exciting as a 1st birthday, I cant help but feel a small celebration and reminiscence is appropriate.  Thinking back on my first reactions when I saw that second blue line, telling Dan the test was positive, demanding that he go buy me more pregnancy tests because I couldn't seem to believe the first one.  Those first few days after finding out seem like just yesterday.  But oh how things have changed.  I spent this evening laying on a blanket with Harrison, snuggling him, hugging him, kissing him, tickling him, and listening to him talk and giggle at me.  I still can't believe how lucky I am.  In one short year I have gone from living life day-to-day to "Mommy". I have transitioned from going out most weekends and sleeping in late, to weekends in and getting up early.  While there are some days that I'd love to sleep in past 7, I've realized that there is nothing as amazing and more precious than seeing that boy's smile. These days I'm loving nothing more than laying on the floor snuggling my baby.  Even when he smells like poop :)

No comments:

Post a Comment